Wednesday, August 5, 2009

God Is Bigger Than ...

God is not surprised by what comes along in our lives. He is more than big enough to overcome death. He is more than big enough to cover our sin through Jesus' blood. He is more than big enough to make good what was intended for evil. He is more than big enough to still use for His good what are difficult and sometimes traumatic situations in this world ... and He promises to do so in His Word.

Think about Joseph. Joseph was not Egyptian. How could he have come to a positon of power & rule? His brothers sold him into slavery & told their father he was dead; well, his master was Egyptian and it was there that he began learning the language and the ways of those people. His master's wife made false accusations and he ended up in jail; and it was there that he became fluent in Egyptian & earned the respect of the warden. From there he became the Pharoah's dream interpreter and earned a high position of service & respect; and it was there that he learned the ways of Egyptian royalty. Eventually Joseph ruled over all of Egypt (second only to the Pharoah) and because of that, many lives were saved through years of famine.
.
Then Joseph said to his brothers, "Come close to me."
When they had done so, he said, "I am your brother Joseph,
the one you sold into Egypt! And now, do not be distressed
and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here,
because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you...
But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you
a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance...
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good
to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
Genesis 45:4-5, 7, & 50:20
.
The enemy's attack on Joseph was devastating for years, and yet God still used it for good. God blessed not only Joseph; but many others who would have died of starvation had it not been for all that had happened to Joseph.

Whether it be an the loss of a dear loved one, a battle with cancer, loss of a job, or whatever is my/your trial; I do not say that struggles are easy. I do not even profess to welcome them. Personally, I have wished away the crippling thorn in my side for a few years now. However, I know that God is faithful and true. I know that He is in the habit of miracles and blessings. I know that His Word is relevant to life today.

I know that the Lord has a purpose for each of us before we are born and does not abandon us, His children ... His creation. Not even in hard times because HE is bigger than that.

For I know the plans I have for you,"
declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me,
and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and find me
when you seek me with all your heart.
I will be found by you," declares the LORD,
"and will bring you back from captivity..."
Jeremiah 29:11-14a

2 comments:

Sweet T said...

I just used those words today, "God is bigger than"....our sorrow. I was in the mall at lunch and a lady that knows Tammy & I are most always together asked about her - so she got a readers digest version of the last few months.
Keep writing,love ya!

Lorraine said...

:( It's hard enough to grieve Papa, but to have to miss being with your sister through it too is harder, I think. Love you too!