Praise the LORD with the harp;
make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.
Sing to him a new song;
Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully, and shout for joy.
For the word of the LORD is right and true;
For the word of the LORD is right and true;
he is faithful in all he does.
Psalm 33:2-4
So this past week Michael Jackson, the "king of pop," died. I have found the media and fans' responses both tiresome and interesting. I once watched a video clip about worship that showed fans responding to Michael Jackson. They screamed. They shouted. They fell to their knees. They fainted!
All of this was in response to a man. A man who could not heal them. A man that could not possibly know each and every one of them. A man to whom they owed ... nothing. I do not dispute his level of musical and entertaining talent, be it my preferred style of music or not; but the fact remains that he was a mere mortal.
So then why is our response to worshipping The Almighty, Eternal, Everlasting, Holy, Good, Faithful, Merciful, Compassionate, Living God and King so small and quiet? I read Isaiah 40 when my Papa was in great pain one of the days in Hospice. I read it again today. Below are some parts of it that really jumped out at me:
"Comfort, comfort my people," says your God.
"Speak tenderly to Jerusalem.
Tell her that her sad days are gone
and her sins are pardoned..."
.
A voice said, "Shout!"
I asked, "What should I shout?"
"Shout that ... the word of our God stands forever."
..."Your God is coming!"
Yes, the Sovereign LORD is coming in power.
He will rule with a powerful arm.
See, He brings His reward with Him as He comes.
He will feed His flock ... He will carry the lambs
in His arms ... close to His heart
.
Who else has held the oceans in his hand?
Who has measured of the heavens with his fingers?
Who else knows the weight of the earth
or has weighed the mountains and hills on a scale?
... To whom can you compare God?
.
Haven't you heard? Don't you understand?
God sits above the circle of the earth.
Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars?
He brings them out like an army, one after another,
calling each by its name.
.
... how can you say the LORD does not see your troubles?
... how can you say God ignores your rights?
Have you never heard? Have you never understood?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of all the earth
He never grows weak or weary.
No one can measure the depths of His understanding.
.
Who else can pardon my sin? Who else knows me by name? Who else knows the deepest parts of my soul? Who else can be my strength when I am weak? Who else has power just by speaking their name?
What will my reaction be the next time that I am in God's presence to worship?
Who else can pardon my sin? Who else knows me by name? Who else knows the deepest parts of my soul? Who else can be my strength when I am weak? Who else has power just by speaking their name?
What will my reaction be the next time that I am in God's presence to worship?
1 comment:
Great perspective, Rainey. It's amazing how easily we "idolize" fellow mortals.
Post a Comment