Sunday, January 22, 2012

These Dreams

     "No, what you see was predicted long ago by the prophet Joel: 'In the last days,' God says, 'I will pour out my Spirit upon all the people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams. In those days I will pour out my Spirit even on my servants - men and women alike - and they will prophesy.'" - Acts 2:16-18

     Dreams are strange things. Most of the world sees them in one of two extremes: silly or mystical.  One thing is for certain, they are often an interesting topic.  

     I've had quite vivid dreams for as long as I can remember.  The dreams that truly linger in my soul are the ones that feel very real or actually became reality.  Those have ranged from upsetting and disturbing to funny and seemingly unimportant.  I don't know that I have the spiritual gift of prophecy, but I know that God has used dreams as a way to "speak" to me.

     I've had dreams where God was warning me.  I've had dreams where God was preparing my heart.  I've been called to obedience.  I've been called to worship.  I've been called out on sin.  I've been reminded of His unfailing love.  I've had dreams that seemed silly and insignificant, yet became reality after time.  Sometimes that reality was weeks later, and sometimes it was years later.

     Not all of my dreams are intense, of course; but I do wonder at times:  How do I know which dreams are a word from God or not?  Also, how do I handle the disappointment when a dream appeared to be a word from The Lord for me, yet is not appearing to become reality?

     I know I don't have all the answers.  What I do know is this: "'Interpreting dreams is God's business'" (Genesis 40:8b) ... It's a good thing that The Business Owner does have all the answers; and He remains faithful in both my reality and my dreams.  I just need to remember to trust that.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Excellent!! You should blog much more often!

Lorraine said...

Oh, thanks, Steph :) I'm going to try to do it a little more regularly again.