Monday, May 11, 2009

I'll Pass on "The Right to Bear"

The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear a crushed spirit?
.
Proverbs 18:14 (NLT)
.
While battling cancer a few years ago, a dear friend (since college) found out that she had another cancer. She and I were just discussing this the other day. I told her that I remember what she said that day (sorry if it's not exactly verbatim, friend!) -
.
"I know that God says He won't give us more than we can bear, but right now I'm ready to re-negotiate just how much He thinks I can bear!"
.
That has always stuck with me because it resonates true in my life, sometimes more often than I'd like to admit. Now is one of those times that it definitely hits home.
.
If you've been following my blog, then you know about my Papa (Grandpa) having cancer that has metastasized aggressively and the terminal prognosis. Well, as if that were not enough for our family to bear, my Aunt (Mom's only sibling / Grandma & Papa's other daughter) was told last Friday that she has breast cancer. Seriously, God?
.
She meets with a specialist this week. We will know more at that time, but the pathologist encouraged her and my uncle that it is in the early stages. So while we don't technically know her prognosis and course of treatment yet, it sounds positive thus far.
.
All of this reminds me of a couple of quotes from one of my favorite movies: Return To Me. The shortened synopsis is that a widower unknowingly falls in love with the woman that was the recipient of his late wife's heart.
.
At first, when the woman figures it out, she cries to her best friend, "What was God thinking?!" I think our family fully relates to this right now. How could He allow this to happen when we're in the midst of dealing with all that is going on with Papa (Grandpa)?
.
Then, however, comes the gentle quote from her wise, kind, faith-filled grandfather: "It's the character that's the strongest that God gives the most challenges to ... Now, you can take that as a compliment." I am asking God to give me that outlook.
.
That doesn't mean that I think it will be easy.
That doesn't mean that I think there won't be hard days.
That doesn't mean that my heart won't hurt.
.
That DOES mean that because Jesus has Conquered the Grave,
I can Hope in Him!
That DOES mean that I can Trust that He is in control, and
His Love Endures Forever!
That DOES mean that I don't have to bear a crushed spirit because
He is my Strength when I am weak!
.
I pray that my family will draw closer to our
Holy, Almighty, Compassionate, Merciful Father
in Heaven during this time.
May His name be Glorified! Amen!
.
The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear a crushed spirit?
.
Proverbs 18:14 (NLT)

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Yep, friend, I think you got that pretty much verbatim. I guess it's good we can't see to the other side of eternity: we might not be able/willing to keep going if we knew what trials lay ahead. But, when the day comes that we view the tapestry of our lives from the perspective of our Father we'll see how our hurts and heartaches were woven into the beautiful scene and used to bring glory and honor to Him.

Step By Step

He does not lead me year by year
Nor even day by day.
But step by step my path unfolds;
My Lord directs my way.

Tomorrow’s plans I do not know,
I only know this minute;
But He will say, “This is the Way
By faith now walk ye in it.”

And I am glad that it is so.
Today’s enough to bear;
And when tomorrow comes,
His grace Shall far exceed its care.

What need to worry then, or fret?
The God who gave His Son
Holds all my moments in His Hand
And gives them, one by one.

- Barbara C. Ryberg