
My Papa (Grandpa - pictured here with my cousin Randee in October of 2007) is 72 years young and an amazing man of God. He and my Grandma have led more people to the Lord than can be counted. They have such amazing faith in the Lord.
He and my Grandma got married when they were only 17 and have been together ever since. I have always had a very close relationship with my Papa & Grandma ... all of us grand-kids have. We stayed the night with them often growing up. We stayed at their house when we were out of school for the summer and our parents were at work. We stopped by to raid their fridge & pantry after school just because we could :) I have many great moments in my life that include my Papa & Grandma and their love.
While I was at home on vacation this month, it was difficult to see how much weight my Papa (Grandpa) had lost since I last was home at the end of September. It was difficult to “hold back” when hugging him because he was in pain when touched. It was difficult to leave and wonder if it was the last time that I would see him…
It is difficult to actually write now that what our family knew in our hearts was confirmed by the doctors on Friday… Papa (Grandpa) has spots of cancer in his bones over his entire body, even his toes. His primary care doctors were broken-hearted to tell Papa, Grandma, Mom, and Aunt Tammy this news as they have great compassion for their “buddy-friend, Tommy.” There was much information to process, and I just don’t have it in me to try to type out all of the details; but his doctors are giving him some sort of hormonal, chemo-injection that should minimalize the cancer’s growth to help deter further pain. If he responds well to that (we’ll know in two weeks), then he might have three to six months left to live. It is not a treatment to prolong his life, but rather to try to make what he has left more comfortable. He could have more, he could have less. Of course, only God truly knows. He has been given two medications for his pain. Hospice administration came to meet with them on Saturday and his assigned Hospice nurse is coming out to meet with them today.
At worship/prayer on Saturday evening, God led me to Philippians 3-4. One part that struck me was 4:6-8:
6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
I read over this several times, then, within two minutes, the worship leader read 4:8. That was beautiful confirmation from the Lord that this verse is for me where I'm at right now. I called my Grandma this morning and shared that with her. She began to weep (as did I) and tell me that Philippians 4:8 is her favorite scripture. She said that she has been lying awake sobbing in the night and telling God that she was so overwhelmed that she does not even know what to think or pray. We are both grateful to the Lord for His Word and that gentle reminder.
Please pray that:
- My Grandma (Jackie) will be able to let the Holy Spirit intercede on her behalf
- My Papa (Grandpa, Tommy) will not have pain
- The rest of my family will cling to God through this time
- The Lord would provide the resources and time for my sister and I both to be able to go back home to see Papa (Grandpa) several more times (even if just over weekends) before we have to go home for a funeral.
No comments:
Post a Comment