Thursday, April 30, 2009

Vacation's All I Ever Wanted...

<-- This is me on vacation two weeks ago (aren't my pink toes so cute?!). I have more pictures in the post below this. This is what I love to do on vacation ... relax in a hammock under palm trees with branches swaying in the breezes ... listen to the sounds of the ocean's ebb and flow ... admire hundreds of different shades of bright, calming blues ... smell the salty, fresh sea ... feel the cool, white sand under my feet ... taste a refreshing virgin banana daiquiri ... and so on ... Well, God is good, and that's just what I got to do on part of my vacation this year!

My dear friend since middle school and her husband blessed me with a 5 night cruise to Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico from Tampa, FL! It was so wonderful to be reunited with them after almost 10 years. Also, since the cruise left out of Florida, I book-ended my trip by spending several days before and after with my family! I had not been home to visit since last September. I had a wonderful time with my family, despite Papa's (Grandpa's) recent decline in health. He was in good spirits and God really blessed our visit.

I have never cruised before, but I now understand why people talk so much about the delightful food and feeling so pampered! I had steak. I had Maine lobster tail. Frozen yogurt flowed like manna from Heaven (ok, perhaps a step too far :) They did have more desserts than a person should even know exist! As for pampering, our beds were not only made each morning, but "turned down" for the evening while we were having our evening meal. This may explain the pampering the best: My first restaurant meal back on dry land included me wondering for a moment why my napkin had not yet been laid across my lap for me!

There was a seemingly never-ending itinerary of activities each day. Oddly, I only went to one evening show. It was great fun, but I just wanted to go to bed close to my normal time each evening. I think I have grown to recognize the importance of not getting my sleeping completely out of whack when I go on vacation because if I do, then I don't feel rested/rejuvenated when I return home. So I relaxed every day. Horrible, I know.

Costa Maya was a relaxing day as we chose not to do any excursions. That is where I took my happy vacation feet picture above. We napped, swam, enjoyed a great lunch, and shopped right there by the port. The lunch was probably the most eventful experience that day. Our server was named Victor. When we first walked up to the seaside area, he approached us: Hola! I am Victor! You ready for lunch?
  • Hola, Victor. Gracias, but not yet. We had a late breakfast. [side note: I loved the banana pancakes that were served in the dining room on the ship]
  • Ok. You see lounge chairs, hammocks, tables, pool, beach? They all for you. This your house. Everything free to use. You see me when you ready to eat!

We relaxed for a while, then decided to have lunch after a couple of hours. We, of course, asked for Victor. You make Victor so happy! You come back to see me!

We had chicken quesadillas. We asked for virgin pina coladas [which were better than any other I'd ever tasted due to the real coconut milk in it.]
  • Victor says: You do not need the ID to have drinks in Meh-heeco.
  • Gracias, but we don't like to drink, we tell him.
  • To which he quickly replies: De nada! Si, Victor loves the Jesus, too!
  • Bueno! We do too!

Victor checks on us often and makes small conversation each time:

  • You are married? ... No? ... I do not want to be in trouble with the husband, so I ask ... You have such big, beauteeful eyes! Your smile so big and bonita [pretty]. You live in Floreeda?
  • We both used to, but no longer.
  • Oh! If you live in Floreeda, then when I come see my family, my friends, I come cook for you, no? You will like. I cook such wonderful things for you! But you no live in Floreeda anymore. Sad for Victor.

And so on ... when we were ready to leave, he asked us to wait one moment (we had already paid and tipped him at this point). He came back with two more virgin pina coladas in "to go" cups! He said it was because we made his day so wonderful, so these were on him! What a fun experience!

The next day it was on to Cozumel. Here we got to have our excursion. I got to swim with a dolphin!! This was one of the best days of my life so far! Our dolphin was a Pacific bottle-nose name Amizcle [ah-meez-clay]. He was 20-22 years old, 14-15 feet long, approximately 680 pounds, and absolutely sweet! I think we were in the water with him for over an hour. We (there were about 10-12 in a group) would have "free time" where we would hang out in the water with Amizcle for 10-15 minutes of him just swimming around, letting us pet him. We had that kind of time three or four times in-between other activities. We each got a turn shaking "hands" and kissing with him. He was quick to vocalize that he did NOT care for kissing the man with the beard, lol! We learned the signals to send him off to jump, and to get up to 60 mph! The coolest experience was "surfing" on his under-belly by holding onto his pectoral fins as he quickly swam on his back! It was an amazing experience which I will not forget!

One more full day back at sea, and we returned to Florida. This time my sister was there to visit for the weekend, too! We had a wonderful reunion together, and with a couple of friends that we had not seen in several years. My uncle grilled for us on Sunday afternoon. We sat outdoors (it was unseasonably mild for Florida in April!) in the shade visiting with one another. 10 people (a few were missing), 5 dogs, and 2 horses all vying for one another's attention! Good times. Good times. My Daddy drives tractor-trailers and was unable to get home until Monday; but once he was home, we were really able to enjoy our time with him, too! It was hard to leave everyone come Tuesday morning (including Mom's new girl Ginger the Beagle - super cute!); but I guess if I got to live that way all of the time, it wouldn't be a vacation.

All in all, it was a wonderful and relaxing time. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to take such a great vacation. I came back rejuvenated, restored, and ready to go again!

Psalm 3:3-6 (MSG)
But you, God, shield me on all sides;
You ground my feet, you lift my head high;
With all my might I shout up to God,
His answers thunder from the holy mountain.
I stretch myself out. I sleep.
Then I'm up again—rested, tall and steady,
Fearless before the enemy mobs
Coming at me from all sides.

1 comment:

Sweet T said...

very fun to read